This blog isn’t just about books so here is my first non book post. A thing you’ll learn about me is that I LOVE dessert, it honestly breaks my heart when I go out for dinner and people decide that we can skip dessert!
This dessert was a favourite of mine when I lived at home, it’s quick, easy and can be made a few hours ahead – leaving you with plenty of time to make dinner 🙂
- 2 Pre-Made Sponge Cakes
- 2 Packets of jelly mix (port, cherry or raspberry flavour)
- 375ml Thickened Cream (whipped)
- 1L Vanilla Custard
- 1 block good quality dark chocolate
- 1 Jar of Sour Black Cherries
- Make your jelly mix and leave to set as per the packet instruction
- Cut the cakes into small pieces and leave to soak with the sherry. 1-2 tablespoons is recommend, however, you can add more to your taste. Cover the bowl and leave until ready to assemble
- When ready to assemble whip the cream and strain the cherries (leaving some of the juices)
- In your bowl, start by layering the sponge cake, then jelly, custard, cherries and start all over again until you get to the end. I like to add a little bit of the cherry juice on the layers.
- At the top leave enough room to add a layer of the cream
- Finally, using a knife shave the chocolate and sprinkle to your hearts content.
- Cover and leave in the fridge until ready to serve.
*based on making a large parfait for a party, however use just one serve of each ingredient and you can make these in glasses for a cute dessert for a dinner party (serves 6 approximately)