My old roommate was OBSESSED with oreos, in chocolate, ice cream or just normal. So when his birthday rolled around there didn’t seem to be anything more perfect than an oreo cake!
We were in the middle of the university semester so I used packet mix cake but any chocolate cake recipe would work – I recommend choosing one that isn’t too rich because of the icing and decoration on the cake.
What you need:
- Two cake tins
- Food Processor (can crush the oreos by hand if you don’t have one)
- Bowls and mixing utensils
- Electric mixer
- 1 1/2 x Packets of Oreos
- 1 x Chocolate Cake Mix (with included chocolate frosting or make extra chocolate butter cream icing)
- 150g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 200g Icing Sugar
- Make the chocolate cakes as per the packet instructions and allow to cool. Once cool, slice the cake in two.
- Remove the cream from the oreos and set aside. Crush the oreos until it resembles a crumble.
- Beat the butter until pale (approximately 5-10 minutes) then add in half the icing sugar, milk and vanilla. Beat for an addition 3 minutes and add the remaining icing sugar and beat for 3 minutes. Fold in 1/3 of the oreo crumbs and the cream. *
- Place your bottom layer on a cake board and fill the middle with your butter cream mixture. Place the top layer on the cake
- Put a light layer of the chocolate icing over the cake (this is to help the crumbs stick to the cake) leaving the middle of the cake visible. Sprinkle the oreos on all edges of the cake until you have an even layer.
*To make a chocolate buttercream add 20g of Coco powder half the amount of the ingredients for buttercream (as listed the above) and follow the same instructions adding the coco when you add the first batch of icing sugar